Thursday 2 February 2012

KILN DRIED SAND

Having heard so much about using silver sand for certain mixes i went to different  builders merchants  and believe it or not i could not get any at all,but i did managed to fine some kiln dried sand in an unusual out let so i thought to my self i will give it a try.I was  choked when they told me the price of it  which was £4-00 a bag but there if you need it you got to pay for it. The question i now ask is what quantity do you use in the mixes for carrots? Last year i used a  mix containing just sieved compost  bone meal and water gel and really speaking they did not turn out to bad but i dont think they would have been good enough for showing.  As every one will be  suffering with this spell of cold weather there will be a lot of gardeners who will start to worry about there plants(onions)  and trying to keep the frost out of there green houses. As i said in one of my bloggs i use a lot of news paper on top of  fleece to make sure  that the frost does not do to much damage if any. I understand from the weather reports that the cold spell is here for while.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Geoff

    Hers the carrot mix I will be using this year. 75 ltrs Levington F1(I can get F1 so I'm using general purpose and adding the "straights")25 ltrs Silver sand. 12 oz Vitex Q4 (powdered) and 12 oz calcified seaweed again powdered.

    ReplyDelete