Tuesday 14 February 2012

SOWING THIS YEARS FLOWER SEEDS

Because it has been a lovely day i took advantage of  it and started to sow the flower seeds. As i have said in one of my bloggs i do sow certain seeds a bit earlier than most. the ones i have sown today are
3x20  CELS of GODETIAS
3X20 CELS OF ASTERS
3X20 CELS OF DAHLIAS
3X20 CELS LIVINGSTONE DAISIES
2X20 CELS OF AFRICAN MARRIGOLDS
I have already sown the lobelia seeds a week ago and they are on the window sill. the rest of the seeds will be sown at a later date. I also checked my chrysanthemum cuttings which i took of last years stools and they are also looking good.
Changing the  subject a little bit , i have been offered 2 big wooden boxes today the size being 4ftx2ftx2ft6" so i am hoping to use them for stump carrots.These boxes are brand new and all i will have to do is to treat them for the weather as they will be out  in the open. Going on to onions i found that my latest sowing are now producing there secondary leaves and are looking really good so i will be giving them a little tonic just to boost them on a bit. I must say that they have not had the treatment of 24hrs lighting so i am not expecting them to be anything like the size of  dan unsworth or even paul bastows but at the end of the day they will be suitable for shows providing all goes well. up date later on.

4 comments:

  1. Geoff
    The boxes sound great. I have noticed that a few of the guys are lining their wooden boxes with used compost bags (Smithy) and this will keep the soil/sand off the wood and should help preserve them. I've finally got some decent Globo seedlings so hope to get some ready for the 250 gm class.

    Speak soon

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi john, yes i struck lucky with the boxes and as you said they will need to be treated,so i am going to give the out side and inside of the boxes a coat of preservative. At the moment all my compost bags are in use being full of my green houses soil which is being sieved for my onions and carrots and parsnips.The last time the soil was changed was about 3 years ago. I do feel that because the green houses dont have a lot of soil in them especialy in a 6ftx4ft and only about a foot deep i will no that my tomatos will benifit from fresh soil with the right PH. Re to onions my own ailsae seeds have realy come on well even with the cold weather that we have been having and i put it down to the nursery box i made out of fibre glass board which is about 2 inches thick and realy keeps the warmth in. Let me know how you get on with the globo seedlings. geoff

      Delete
  2. I've started to sow flower seeds as well and i think this year is going to be a great year. Only time can tell.. Thanks for the blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello johnny, it was my intention to reply to your comment on my blogg a few weeks ago but for some reason which i cannot recall i must say that i am sorry. Any how i have read your blogg and i must say that it is far from a gardening blogg but also very interesting. I would say that i am very involved in mental health issues and have been for 20yrs but because of my health i have had to take things esier and slow down a bit. As you would have read in my blogg i am very keen on gardening and try to improve every year . I am now 77yrs old and found that gardening is realy a pleasure especially when you grow your own veg and also some nice flowers to look at. I wish you all the best in growing your flowers this year. geoff

    ReplyDelete