Saturday 28 January 2012

sieving compost for carrots and info

Had a lovely relaxing day today  in the green house sieving compost for  the long carrot mix. The compost  i am using this year is vitax with q4 which is what i used last year and found it to be very good. As most will know gardeners do use different types and uses the one which suits them and have had good results. Today i sieved 150ltrs and got another 75ltrs to do so i will be doing that during the week coming.I have said in one of my bloggs that i think i will be changing my mix this year( i dont mean compost) because i dont think i quite had the right mix for a good structured carrot. I will use the same mix for the stump carrots as well so i am hoping to do a bit better this year but we will see. Just a word on growing seeds early, it is obvious that you can not grow seeds if you have not got the equipment to do so but on the other hand you can purchase a small propagator which you can put on a window sill. (with permission from your partner). I have done this myself this year  although i do have a small heated propagator in my small green house for onion seeds. The seeds i have in my unheated propagator are my flower seeds such as petunias- lobelia-begonia which are the very fine seed and they do need the right temperature which you get in the house and also the day light. Every thing i have said is based on normal growing and not for showing so i must say you can grow seeds early on a small scale.      

4 comments:

  1. I've sieved all my compost Geoff for my first show
    It is a very tedious, long winded, boring job
    I sieved 8 bags in all but have another 8 I will have to do in another month or two for the later shows

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff

    I've got to start my sieving. So will be at it this weekend in between doing my Saturday morning garden job and watch rugby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi john, it looks as if you are going to have a hectic week end. I have already got 150ltr of fine compost but i still have to sieve another two bags of 75ltrs to do so will be doing the same as you over the week end. I have been searching around for silver sand to day but did not have much luck so i managed to get hold of some kiln dried sand which is just like baking flower so i was quite pleased. I think it will do the same job as silver sand but we will wait and see. Changing the subject a bit i used to go to elgin a lot with pigeons which i used to race , i dont think it is to far away from were you live. any way i hope you enjoy the rugby, who do you think will win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Geoff. We used to race pigeon when I was a boy from our farm on the Island of Bute. (small world) Elgin is 12 miles from me and where the office is that I work out of. I'm making up my own mix for all my long roots this year. So its B&Q GP compost plus straight ferts to get Levington F2 equivalent. Then Sand, Soil and calcified seaweed.

    ReplyDelete