Friday 3 February 2012

CARROT MIX WITH KILN DRIED SAND

Not being able to get silver sand for carrot mix  i bought a bag of kiln dried sand and done a few mixes  today and i was very pleased with the texture. Know doubt  this is going to be trial and error this year as it will be completely different to what i used last year . I am hoping that with another ingredient added i might get some very good long carrots which will be grown in pipes and  I will also use the same mix with my stump carrots which i will grow in pop bottles. Some gardeners say you should not grow them in the same place every year because of getting disease. In some way i do believe that to be the case but i think that if your ground has been treated with a disinfectant of some sort it should be ok. For many years now i have always grown my onions in the ground  and the next year it would be in buckets and i have not really had a problem. As to the carrots they have always been grown in  pop bottles in the same spot with new compost  and not soil and the results have always been good. The results at the end of the growing year is going to be interesting especially if i do well at a few shows.

2 comments:

  1. Geoff I've been growing my show onions and shallots in the same bed now for 4 years. Touchwood I've had no problems, this year for the first time I soaked the beds with Jeys fluid in the autumn. With regards my carrots/parsnips & long beet. They are also grown in the same beds/containers but of course I core out with a 3 inch drain pipe and fill with my mixes. I have also for the first time soaked the beds/containers with jeys fluid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the mix Geoff. I use silver sand in my parsnip mix and managed to get hold of some bags from Homebase. The carrot mix uses Levingtons F2S so fingers crossed it will work this year.

    ReplyDelete